Well, I finally convinced Ken that it was time to do something about our kitchen cabinets. To put it mildly, they were horrendous. Not exaggerating. Some were sun faded, others were so dirty from fingers that I couldnt get them clean and the rest were, well, ugly yellow oak. Ick.
While it could have been fun to get new cabinets, neither of us wanted to fork over the $$$ for that! Instead, I searched the Pinterest world and we decided to try our hand at painting them.
The process was pretty tedious and time consuming, but I wouldnt trade it for the world! Such a massive improvement and all with a toddler ;)
First, we pulled all of the doors and hinges. Ken was amazing and did all of the sanding. It was a bit weather dependent since it is winter here in Colorado, but he used the open windows of (mostly) warmth and went to work.
As he worked on sanding all of the bajillion doors outside, I took to wiping them down, priming and painting them in the basement. In order for them to dry enough (1 coat of base and 3 coats of paint on each surface), I would get up around 5:00 before Brooke woke up, do a second coat at nap time and then put a final coat for the day on after she went to bed at 7:30. I felt a little bit like a basement troll for a while, put it really wasn't too bad!
We used a basic white primer and then a Sherwin Williams paint. Happy to report that neither of them were very strong in odor and I never once felt sick after being in the basement with them. That is a big deal for me! I used a brush to lay down the paint on the surfaces and then used mini rollers to go over it so we didn't end up with brush marks. Worked pretty great!
After a couple of weeks without doors and hardly anything in the kitchen (we still managed to eat at home for all meals except maybe 2!!), we finally got paint on the portions of wood left in the kitchen. Two days of drying and then we were able to move everything back in and hang the doors!
It took about a week to pick and order the hardware (there hadn't been any on the doors or drawers). I chose some brushed nickel pulls and knobs from Amazon. We put the hardware on (maybe the hardest part) ;-) and are now incredibly happy with the result. Made the kitchen seem so much more modern. I am in love!
|Doors off and ready to go!|
|Sanded and Primed|
|A Whole New Space!!!|