Thursday, June 27, 2013

Birth Story Part 1

So, I failed to update the blog after week 38 so here is a quick recap and the beginning of baby Brooke’s birth story….

Alle arrived in Colorado just in time to get acclimated and ready to help with B. We spent the last 2 weeks of my pregnancy going for walks, to the gym and running all sorts of errands. Contrary to everyone’s belief B was not early and decided to get things started on her due date. Punctual little thing.

Alle has some other pictures, so I will try and get those in the next week, but I figured I better write something so I don’t forget what happened!

On Monday evening (the 10th) I started having light cramping. Now, this may not seem like a big deal, but prior to this I had not had any sort of cramping or pain throughout my pregnancy so I knew something was coming. I turned to Ken as we were just watching TV and let him know that he should plan on not making it in to work the next day.

At about 1:20 am on Tuesday, I started having contractions about 20 minutes apart. I stayed in bed for a while, but then decided to head down to the couch so I wouldn’t wake Ken up by moving around. Sometime around 6ish I headed back upstairs and got back in bed. Ken was just waking up and I let him know that I was having consistent contractions. He asked if we should call parents and I told him we should wait to make sure it wasn’t a false alarm and until it was a decent hour to call people. I texted Errin and let her know to be on the ready for a hospital trip later in the day.

At 7, my contractions were still every 20-30 minutes and getting stronger, so we called parents. My mom hung up with me and booked a flight….more on that later. We spent the morning hanging out and looking classy…


Um hello contraction!

Labor day-40 weeks! And glad I showered!


Around noon, Alle, Ken and I headed out to grab some pizza for lunch (my last meal!). I had a hard time concentrating on eating and don’t think I was very nice to the waitress. Sorry. From there, we went to Buy Buy Baby to grab a monitor. The cashier asked me when I was due and I told her I was actually in labor-she looked afraid.

Once we had what we needed, we drove out to the airport to pick up my mom. In this time span, my contractions went from 10 minutes apart to about 4 minutes apart. I am sure I was a blast to travel with. We grabbed my mom at 2:30 and headed straight to my doctors office. Apparently they really wanted to make sure I was good to go. Once the doctor finally made it into the room (They failed to tell her that my contractions were 3 minutes apart) she checked me and I was 6 cm dilated! Go time!!

She sent us directly next door to the hospital, do not stop for dinner (PS we should have stopped for dinner!).

Once we got checked in and taken to our room (hello gorgeous room with a view) it was around 3:30ish. From  here on out, my times will be estimated because the clock just kept clicking on and on!!


Cheering section!

For the next couple of hours, I suffered through some awesome contractions. I would hold onto the bed and Ken’s fingers and while they were NOT fun…they were handle-able. Hey…a clock! So this was about 5 pm.

During labor, I tried the bathtub, the ball, laying and sitting. Sitting on the side of the bed was the best, although apparently I was pushing hard with my feet on the floor because people were concerned about the purple color of my toes.

I want to say that it was around 6 that I got checked again and was told that I was 9 cm . Um hello dinner, here I come! But no….

I had the lovely pleasure of staying at 9 cm dilated until 1 am!

Not exactly sure what time it was, but I know it was dark. Maybe around 9 ish…I reached a point where I could no longer handle the pain and being so exhausted. I said “Channing Tatum” which was our code word for “give me the drugs”. We decided that the epidural was the best bet (trying everything prevent a C-section).

My nurse, Stacy, was awesome! She did everything in her power to keep my away from the knife! My doctor was ready to cut this little B out of my, but Stacy was sure we could do this naturally. And I was with her!!

More to come Smile