Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Modified Workouts

Workouts: 20 minutes on the recumbent stationary bike and a upper body weight workout.

Happy Wednesday everyone! Hope that you are somewhere that you can enjoy some gorgeous weather today. I honestly cannot believe that it is March and we are seeing the 70s!

001

Last night Ken and I spent some time on the couch watching The Biggest Loser. I am still not a huge fan of the contestants, but for some reason I cannot seem to flip the channel if it is on. It is like a train wreck….I just cant look away.

On the commercial breaks, I managed to drag myself off of the couch and do some vacuuming. It was exciting to be able to push it around. Injuries=small pleasures.

Speaking of injuries….I wanted to share a little bit about my workouts lately. I am about 2 weeks and 4 days into this whole “fracturing your back shindig” and I must admit, I’m over it.

Exercise has become such a huge part of my life….I hardly know what to do with myself….

As a doctor, I know that letting an injury heal is a huge deal, but I also know that if I don’t stay somewhat active my body will start deconditioning and there will be no way I will complete my 25k race in May. That said, all of my workouts have been changed in ways to protect my low back and minimize strain on the area.

Recumbent Stationary Bike: I have done two 20 minute workouts on this baby. It is pretty sweet because the way that it is set up, my low back is at an angle where there is not a lot of pressure on my spine and there is hardly any movement in my low back while I am using it. I have tried to keep the intensity pretty low, but still get in some cardio.

Upper Body Weights: For the most part, these have included 5 pound dumbbells. I have been doing 3 sets of 10-12 reps and have kept the weights low, not for my arms, but for overall weight on my low back. All of my sets are done standing with slightly bent knees and have included:

Tricep Extensions

Overhead presses

Lateral raises

Frontal raises

I upped my weight to 10 pounds for bicep curls, but only used one at a time so I wasn’t holding too much weight (I tried both at the same time, but I could feel the strain and quickly put one down).

Not very exciting, but more than I thought I would be doing at this point.

Today I also tried a little core….Did plank (one my knees) and side plank (also on my knees) for about 15-20 seconds each.

It was been hard going from crazy cool, intense workouts to the once above, but I am just thankful to be healing. Can’t wait to get back to where I was…….

On a random note, I am loving the fact that I have gotten these babies 2 times in the last month….

003

Free undies…yes, please!

See ya later!!