Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Broken

Workouts: Getting out of bed….and life in general.

So, I have been dreading writing this post for days. Not that I couldn’t have written it over the weekend, but I really didn’t want to. Plus, it is actually pretty hard for me to type.

On Friday, Ken and I went for that glorious bike ride that I had mentioned….only it did not end up quite so glorious. In fact, it ended abruptly and terribly.

We were having a delightful time….it was beautiful out…and then came the ice. It all happened so fast that I don’t even remember detail. I was following Ken when we came to a large patch of ice. He just flew right over it, no problem, so I figured that I could as well. Yeah, not so much.

Before I knew it, I was hitting the ground squarely on my low back and then bouncing onto concrete. I hit hard. A shockwave of pain flooded my body and my first emotion was fear. I remember yelling (inappropriate words-sorry Mom) and moaning…but I didn’t cry. Weird.

Ken came racing back to me and after a few minutes I started to move around a little. I made sure I could wiggle my toes and finally decided to get up. It was a slow process and it hurt like heck.

Ken raced home on his bike to get a car and I hoppled about 3/4 of a mile (I think) to an area he could pick me up.

Needless to say, my weekend plans went out the window. I didn’t get to run or ride or move for that matter. Errin was awesome and brought me some goodies (food and entertainment) and that helped keep me occupied. Sunday we went to Golden so Ken could ride and I could….lay on the couch.

Yesterday I went and had x-rays taken and….it looks like I have a fracture on my sacrum and possibly on my L5. We will just add those to the road rash and bruising.

I have been spending most of my time on the couch and my amazing husband has been doing pretty much everything around the house. It is pretty darn depressing. Mostly because it is gorgeous outside.

I have taken today and tomorrow off from work and am going to *try* to see patients on Thursday.

In more depressing news, this means my race training is at a standstill. I will more than likely be taking at least 2 weeks off from most exercise and 4-8 off from running and riding. I am hoping to get in the pool in a week or so.

And what about my races? 8 weeks off of running would put me into the beginning of May…and the race is the end of that month….so I don’t know. I guess it will depend on how recovery goes. Total Bummer.